Sunday, May 30, 2010

A Heritage of Service

Memorial Day…It’s about more than cookouts and swimming. It is a day to honor those who have given their lives to keep our country free and to protect our opportunities to enjoy the cookouts and swimming, or whatever we choose to do. I would like to take this time to extend my appreciation to ALL who have served our country, past and present, and to their families who keep the home fires burning.

Our family has a heritage of military service, and for Robert and me, it strikes very close to home.

Robert’s father, Grant, served in the Army, and returned home safely from two tours of duty in Vietnam:

This is my father’s father, Giffin Blaine Tucker, who served (as a very young lad) in the Navy in both World War II and the Korean War. He returned home safely from his time in the service:


My father, Larry, was an excellent soldier (he made it a career), and although he returned home from Vietnam in one piece (after receiving two purple hearts), he was never the same:


My mother, Dee Dee, joined the Army and went through basic training when she was 33 years old (what a woman)! She was never involved in war, but her military duties and experience did leave their marks on her health, and today we routinely visit the VA hospital:

Robert and I were both “military brats”; I truly believe that this may be the origins of my wanderlust, since I never lived anywhere longer than two years when I was a child. Being part of a military family is a unique experience, full of sacrifice, but full of blessings, too. I saw many things and met many people when I was growing up, and the military can be like a little family when you are away from your extended family back “home”. Military families learn to adapt to almost any situation (except standing still!). And I have to say that there is a sense of pride that comes from having a family member serve that I can't imagine having any other way.

To all veterans, I want to say, “Thanks, and God bless you!”

1 comment: