Saturday, January 7, 2012

Minestrone Soup – My Soup/Chili Hybrid

I thought I would share my recipe for what our family calls “minestrone soup” (even though it is really more like a cross between soup and chili – perhaps I should call it a “sili”?).  Anyway, it is so easy that it’s ridiculous and yet it has withstood scrutiny during countless pot lucks and “company” meals.

Minestrone Soup – Basic Recipe
1 lb. ground beef
2 cans of Campbell’s minestrone soup
1 15-oz can of Ranch Style beans
1 can of Rotel tomatoes (Original flavor)

Brown the ground beef and drain.  In a larger pot combine the cooked ground beef, soup, beans, and tomatoes.  There is no need to add any additional liquid.  Let it simmer until nice and hot.  Serve topped with shredded cheese and you have dinner!
(NOTE:  The above recipe is the basic recipe that I received years ago.  The thing I really like about it is that you can tweak it to suit your taste and your headcount.  For one thing, all you really have to worry about is getting it hot; however, I have found that the longer it cooks, the better it tastes.  I actually prefer to brown the meat and then let the whole thing cook in the crock pot for a good while. Even though the recipe called for the original flavor of Rotel tomatoes, we have decided that we like the mild flavor better for this recipe.  Need to stretch it a little bit for unexpected guests?  You can always add a little more meat or even another can of soup and/or beans.  When the whole family is getting together I use closer to 2 lbs. of meat and 3 cans of soup and it still tastes great.  My mother likes to eat her sili with crackers, while I like to mix in a few Fritos in my bowl.  We have also made dinner rolls or corn muffins to fluff it up a little.)


2 comments:

  1. Love it! I'm totally making this this week (except that I don't have the minestrone soup...!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing the recipe! This sounds so comforting and warming on cold days! blessings, Kathleen

    ReplyDelete