Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Changes

Yes…once again it’s been a while since I’ve blogged, but honestly there are days I don’t even turn the computer on.  I have put out the word to friends and family that if something is really important, they better just call me because I will get the e-mail three or four days after the event.  Part of it is being lazy, part of it is being tired, but a lot of it has been that I’ve just been so busy watching or living through changes that I haven’t made the time to write about them.
One change that people may wonder about is:  What ever happened with Pearl chicken?  Well, my sweet, cuddly Pearl continued to crow every morning without fail, so (s)he had to be returned to the family who had given that cuddly chicken to us.  Last report was that he was living with the quail for a bit because he (being a young, healthy rooster) was constantly bothering the hens, who had been bothered quite enough already.  The good news is that Jill (his original mother) told me that although she is a pretty busy gal, she tries to make time to cuddle (P)Earl whenever she has the chance.  She is not used to cuddling her chickens because they just have so many, but she agreed that cuddling (P)Earl is quite nice.  I’m glad that I was able to share that joy with her.  Meanwhile, Opal chicken has made it clear that she is quite content to live out her days as our lone chicken, and she still loves spending time in the yard with us:

An even bigger change was the departure of Alan on May 2nd as he returned to Yellowstone.  I didn’t get to go with him this time (his father had a hunting trip scheduled, and someone had to be here to care for the critters).  This made me even sadder than I already was, but it is what it is.  Alan had bought his grandmother’s car (she bought herself a new one – another change), so he was able to drive himself this time.  He followed his father to Amarillo (the sacred hunting site), and his dad actually followed Alan until he got just past Denver (at which time, his father returned to the sacred hunting site).  Alan drove the rest of the way himself -- his first big, lone road trip!  I was so very glad when I got his phone call telling me he was safe and sound at his destination!  I have really missed him, but I am so glad for him because every time I talk to him, he just keeps saying, “I miss you, Mom, but I am so happy.  I am just so happy!”
Here he is, all grown up and raring to go:

And here he is on the night before he left, spending some time with his number one girl:

Speaking of Alan’s best girl, for the longest time Paisley continued to be sick constantly.  Almost every single week one, or sometimes both, of her parents were having to use vacation time because she needed to go to the doctor.  Even with me keeping her now and then when she couldn’t go to day care it was just getting to be worrisome…we didn’t think she would ever be well again.  Well, her parents went to Plan B:  They took their house off the market and with some various changes that they are making, Paisley’s mother will just be working two days a week and spending the other five days with Paisley.  I am so happy for all of them!  I know it’s a scary thing for them to do, but they truly feel that getting Paisley well is worth the sacrifice.

Disclaimer:  Many of the pictures coming up are at least a couple of weeks old, but if I have to trot out and take all new ones, this post will never get done!
Robert has pitched in and is helping me in my efforts to try to change our yard from a wasteland to an oasis.  Every year I plant large pieces of sod, and every year they end up getting beat to death before they really get started.  Well, Robert fenced off the barren area and instead of planting large chunks of sod, he planted little plugs.
Nestlé absolutely loves having a new run (and trying to dig up my blueberry bushes!):


We decided to change our garden planting schedule this year.  We planted everything way early, knowing that yes, there might be a danger of frost; however, we know that if you plant later, things will burn up before you know it.  So far, it’s working.  In my “decorative” bed, I planted a little of this and a little of that (including some stray purple-hull black-eyed peas – you can’t have enough of those, and I plant them everywhere):

Since these pictures were taken I have harvested both this bell pepper and the cucumber:

The raspberry bush is huge this year (and even has some berries – the birds will be delighted about that):

Do you remember the two little sprigs of peppermint that I had rooted from a cutting and then put in the orange tub?  Well, I at least know that I can grow peppermint:

I decided to experiment and see how black-eyed peas would do in a square-foot garden.  I hope they do well (there are three garden beds full of them):

I also am trying to grow roses.  I got off to a good start with this one, but for some reason my roses seem to be struggling now:

Robert has his experiments, too:

And I found this cute little pitcher that I had saved from Paisley’s first birthday party.  It made the cutest little vase in which to put some of my lavender:

So “change” has been the word of the season.  However, I must admit that I am ready for at least a little boredom for a while.

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful post. Even though the little rooster is gone, you can now spoil Opal. Hope that your son continues to enjoy Yellowstone. Paisley is such a cutie, hope she continues to be healthy. Love your little rabbit and your garden is to die for!

    ReplyDelete