Thursday, February 24, 2011

Chicken Update!

The girls are finally outside (they moved out on Sunday night), and so far things are going well(except that I sometimes miss them being so close – but not their mess!).  While the “mansion” (big coop) is not ready, the “efficiency apartment” (tractor) has finally been completed.  Robert did a pretty nifty job in transforming what was once Molly’s dog crate into a suitable short-term home for my girls.
Here is a picture to give you the overall idea.  He eventually DID put the finer mesh all the way around the coop (even the doors) to keep the possums and other critters from being able to reach in and grab the girls:

He made a hinged lid for easy access for us:

Here’s a look at the inside (before I added the pine shavings):

There’s also a panel in the back that cannot be lifted unless the heavy, hinged door is up:

What was once the bottom liner of the crate is now a removable roof:

As long as there is chow and fresh water, the girls are pretty content:

It took them several hours to discover that the crate had a new addition, but once they did, they seemed to enjoy being in there.  We have a removable panel so that if it is too cold, stormy, etc., we can lock them in:

But their favorite time of the day is when their mother comes outside for awhile and lets them run around.  I do this two or three times a day.  I wish I could just turn them loose on their own for hours on end, but between the dogs and the hawk that hunts in our neighborhood relentlessly, I feel like they need some watching.  It tickles me to see them pecking and scratching and acting so “chickeney”.  Opal found a grub on her first trip out and was so very proud of herself!

They found a spot in the yard where the dirt was somewhat soft and had the best time taking a sand bath.  At one point there was so much flapping and carrying on that Opal looked like she was having a convulsion!  This is one of their favorite things to do:

However, one of my favorite things occurs right before I tuck them in at night.  I let them run around for one last time for the evening as I sit in a chair.  It isn’t long before Ruby flies up to sit in my lap, and Opal soon follows.  They will roost on my shoulder and just cuddle and coo.  Ruby likes to put her cheek right up against mine and rest.  Opal will move down to the crook of my arm and let me pet her until she falls asleep.  They will each just snooze until I tell them, “Girls, we can’t stay here all night.  I have to go in!”  Then I put them back in the tractor and they settle in for the night.  I just love those chickens!

No comments:

Post a Comment