Sunday, April 25, 2010

Yellowstone Bound!

My son is about to begin the adventure of a lifetime. He recently landed a job at Yellowstone National Park for the upcoming tourist season, and we are all so excited! I must confess that while I am thrilled for him, I'm just a little bit jealous, too. I originally found the job when I was dreaming of mountains and places with seasons, and wanting to be there myself.

I had looked to see if there were seasonal jobs at Yellowstone, and sure enough, there they were! Working in the gift shop appealed to me, and I practiced saying, "Welcome to Yellowstone! May I help you?" as I walked around the house doing chores. But alas, with 3 dogs and a squirrel, the chances of me greeting you at Yellowstone any time soon are slim to none. But Alan is single and free, and when he heard me talking about my "dream" job one day he announced, "I'd like to do that."

"You're kidding," I replied.

"No," he said. "It sounds like fun, and it would give me the chance to go somewhere and do something different."

So he applied and guess which job he landed? That's right! He'll be working in the gift shop at Old Faithful! It's really neat for someone his age because he will be able to live in a dorm setting and there is a cafeteria for the employees with 3(?) squares a day. His room and board fees (about $12 a day) will be deducted from his pay check ,so no one has to worry about running out of money for rent. There are organized activities for the employees during their off-duty time, but I think just living at Yellowstone is enough!

The time is nearing for him to leave, and I will be taking him up there. Road trip! Even though the park may not be open for me, just being in that part of the country is exciting. So if you are tired of the same boring entries for our family blog, just hold tight! There are beautiful pictures and fun stories coming.!

Alan will be documenting his personal adventures on his new blog, Alan at Yellowstone. I can't wait to see what happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment